The NIMC diaspora registration will get you a Nigerian Identification Number (NIN). The process of obtaining a Nigerian Identification Number (NIN) is managed by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). The Nigerian Identification Number (NIN) was introduced to identify Nigerian citizens using the biometric system, facial information and fingerprints. Any Nigerian above the age of 16 is eligible to apply. This blog post will show how you can apply for a Nigerian Identification Number (NIN) in South Africa.
The Nigerian Identification Number (NIN) is a unique identifier issued to Nigerians, consisting of 11 digits. NIN is a new way of identification verification in Nigeria. The NIN is used as an identity in conducting all forms of transactions, including voting, opening banking accounts, obtaining a driver Licence among others in Nigeria. The process of obtaining a NIN is managed by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).
The Nigerian parliament established the agency through the National Identity Management Commission Act No. 23 of 2017. A governing board regulates NIMC. The board comprises members from different Nigerian government departments such as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC), the Office of the Chief of Defense Staff, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Department of Security Services (DSS), and the Nigerian Police Force (NPF).
NIMC Diaspora Registration
Apart from local citizens, Nigerians living outside Nigeria can get a NIN identity. According to National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), it launched a programme in 2019 to ensure that Nigerians living in the diaspora are able to enrol in the process of obtaining a NIN in the countries where they are residing. Click here to download the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) diaspora services fact sheet. Nigerians living in South Africa are no exception, they have an opportunity to register for NIN, right here in South Africa. They can enroll for NIN on the VFS Global website by clicking here. VFS Global was officially appointed in 2019 by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to handle NIN applications. VFS Global facilitate NIN applications at its branches in Johannesburg and Pretoria.
NIMC Diaspora Enrolment Centres For NIN Registration in South Africa
Below is a list of companies and their contact details across South Africa that are licensed to carry out the NIN enrolments for Nigerians in South Africa.
|NIN Enrolment Location in South Africa||Company||Address for NIN Enrolment|
|Pretoria||VFS Global Office||Cherry Lane Office Park, 1st Floor, 114 Fehrsen Street, Nieuw Muckleneuk, Brooklyn, Pretoria, 0181|
|Johannesburg||VFS Global Office||1st Floor Rivonia Village Office Block, Cnr. Rivonia Boulevard and Mutual Road, Rivonia, Johannesburg|
|Johannesburg||Thebez Global Resources||205 Rivonia Road, Morningside, Johannesburg|
|Sandton||Dannon Group||108 11th St Parkmore, Sandton 2196|
Documents Required For NIMC Diaspora Registration
In order to apply for your NIN as a Nigerian living in South Africa, any of the following documents are required together with a BVN number:
- Original birth certificates.
- An original attestation letter from any of the the Nigerian missions in South Africa.
- A Nigerian international passport that is valid.
Application Process For NIMC Diaspora Registration
- Step 1: Complete the NIMC pre-enrolment form online. Find the forms here. Ensure the details used are correct.
- Step 2: Print the pre-enrolment slip.
- Step 3: Visit VFS Global offices in Johannesburg or Pretoria, or any of the NIN enrollment locations in South Africa. The applicant must make sure he or she has original and valid documents.
- Step 4: The applicant will be directed to a NIMC enrolment official who will check the correctness of your online enrolment form and verify the applicant’s presence.
- Step 5: Once the applicant’s pre-enrolment application is verified and approved, biometric fingerprints and head to shoulder photos will be taken, and a transaction slip will be issued. This transaction slip must be carefully kept.
- Step 6: NIN slip takes 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric information is captured at the enrolment centre.
- Step 7: Once the NIN identity is available for collection, the applicant is expected to bring the transaction slip and present it to a VFS NIMC official.
Points to note:
- Minor applicants should be above 16 years and should be accompanied by their parent(s) or legal guardians who will help them complete the enrolment form. In addition, minor applicants should bring an original and valid birth certificate as well as a NIN identity of one of their Nigerian parents or legal guardians.
- Applicants who cannot read or write should be accompanied by a literate person who is capable of completing the application process on their behalf.
In a nutshell, in this blog post, we have looked at the meaning of NIN and what the application process entails for NIMC diaspora registration. We have also provided the steps to follow when completing the pre-enrolment and submission of document process for Nigerians living in South africa.